Saturday, February 11, 2012

Our Story

Now that I'm married, I decided it's about time I join the world of blogging.  I'm hoping this will serve as a journal of sorts, since I haven't really written down any memories or events since long before the wedding (almost 6 months ago).  I thought I would start by recording the story of Derric and I:

We met... 

in January 2011 I moved back to Provo, Utah and on my first Sunday at church I noticed the cute and funny sunday school teacher.  The next week I saw him walking to church as I drove by with my roommate, Julie, and pulled an illegal u-turn and picked him up to give him a ride (I thought I was being pretty forward and obvious)  but then he didn't even sit with me once we got there.  I asked my friend, Christian, who lived next door to him, but he said he didn't want to get involved in my love life and I would need to get my own dates.  Derric was so elusive, so I started to give up.

We went on our first date... 

almost two months later.  A member of the seventy spoke at a stake conference and committed all the men to go on a date.  This must've been what Derric needed, because he asked me out the next night.  I already had a date for that friday, but I was so excited and surprised that Derric asked me out, that I said yes right away and then called to reschedule my other date!  It was a double date with a good friend of Derric's.  We went to D.I.  and picked out hideous golfing attire for the other couple to wear, as they did for us, and wore them out of the store.  We went miniature golfing and people kept looking at us, but it was a lot of fun.  I remember being so nervous and trying my best to impress him the whole time.  After golfing we went to a cupcake shop, where mine had a chocolate covered strawberry on top.  We were joking about feeding eachother food, and I did just that!  after which Derric loudly requested more strawberries.

We had our first kiss...

on our 3rd date.  we had gone rock climbing with 2 of Derric's sisters, then watched a movie at his apartment with a surprise of chocolate and strawberries to make our own.  Then he walked me home and kissed me on my doorstep goodnight.  I soon found out that he had been sick and had hesitated to kiss me that night because he didn't want to pass it on to me, but he was sweet and brought me chicken soup when I started to sneeze a couple days later.
general conference in April
with Derric's family at Zion's Park in May
at a friend's wedding reception in July

He proposed...

in June.  There's kind of 2 proposals, the first was over the phone.  We had been talking about marriage, but Derric wasn't sure yet.  He was working in Sacramento, and I was staying in Provo for the summer, and he called me one morning and said that day was the last day he could get out of his housing contract for the next fall and asked me how I felt about that.  I was so excited and went for frozen yogurt with a couple of roommates to celebrate that night.  That wasn't the official proposal, though.  I moved to Sacramento a couple weeks later and my second day there we went to the temple and did a session.  he faked a proposal outside the temple by kneeling on one knee and asking me "will you... wait for me while i tie my shoe?"  but then we went to his grandparent's house where he gave me a tour and the pulled out a picnic basket from the fridge and we rode a four wheeler to a spot alongside a creek where he had set up a blanket, flowers, candles, and a camping stove to heat our dinner.  he even had chocolate strawberries for dessert.  finally, after watching the sunset, he asked me if i would do him a favor..."would you wear this?"  as he pulled out the ring.

on the four wheeler in a skirt and heels
at the picnic with my sunflower
the beautiful ring

We got married...

on August 20, 2011 in the Sacramento temple.  we had a beautiful reception outside at his grandparent's house with all of our family and friends there to celebrate with us.  It was the most perfect day.










1 comment:

  1. You guys have such a fun story- well everybody does really- but yours is especially good :) I love how the chocolate strawberries just keep on coming throughout the story- how romantic.

    I love your blog! Thanks for the fun updates- I'm sure I will like it even more when I'm far away and don't get to chat with you as often. Keep up the great work, girl!

    I would love to see some of your sewing projects on here too :)

    ReplyDelete